Jorg Schwytzer; Augustin Hofman, Abbot of Einseideln
circa 1571 - circa 1850
Place of origin
SwitzerlandOrder this image
Felbrigg, Norfolk (Accredited Museum)
In the 1840s the Great Hall was radically altered. Heavy oak door-cases were installed, a new ceiling with huge wooden pendants was fitted and these stained glass windows dating from 1450 to the 19th century were added. Today the glass creates beautiful patterns on the walls and floor in the afternoon sunlight.
A stained glass panel comprising two Swiss panels: Jorg Schwytzer, 1571, attributed to Fridly Burkhart, and the Arms of Augustin Hofman, Abbot of the Benedictine monastery, Einseideln (1600-1629), 1627, set in Victorian diaper fields.
Part of the stained glass collection amassed in the mid-nineteenth century by William Howe Windham (1802-1854) Part of the Windham Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1969 by Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (1906-1969).