Little is known of the early history of Trelissick but it appears in the Assize Rolls of 1280. There was undoubtedly a house here from a very early date; the first mansion house was built in c.1740 by Edmund Davy. An engraving of 1820 shows a 2-storey villa with a columned veranda and single-storey balancing wings. This structure remains, although it is embedded in the much larger house built by Peter Frederick Robertson for Thomas Danielle of Truro in 1825. For a large part of the 19th century Trelissick was owned by the Gilbert family who were responsible for much of the park planting. In 1937 ownership passed to Ida and Ronald Copeland who undertook planting of the garden, which is noted for its rare shrubs and collection of plants that thrive in the mild Cornish climate.