Lodge Park is situated in the Sherborne Estate and is England’s only surviving 17th-century deer course and grandstand. Sherborne was owned by the Dutton family from 1551. In the early 1630s, John 'Crump' Dutton, fuelled by his passion for deer coursing, gambling, banqueting and entertaining, built the grandstand of Lodge Park. Originally, it was a 2-storey structure with a flat roof and a balcony about the entrance portico, providing an observation platform for deer coursing. Lodge Park underwent multiple alterations in the 19th century as it was modified into a house, then a row of cottages, and again a house. Lodge Park was restored by the National Trust in 1998 employing archaeological evidence to return the building to its original structure as a grandstand.