Set high on the Tor, Dunster Castle has developed over the past 1,000 years from a Norman fortress into a comfortable Victorian country house. Since 1405, it has been home to 18 generations of the Luttrell family who have remodelled and redecorated the castle according to the latest style. In 1617 George Luttrell commissioned William Arnold to transform the medieval fortress into a home. The result was a Jacobean H-plan country house made of red sandstone. Arnold’s plans included very little exterior decoration apart from the purely ornamental battlements, which alluded to Dunster’s castle history. The interiors remain largely Jacobean, but others show a Caroline touch such as the magnificent staircase of 1682 and the dining room in the style of Edward Goudge. Curiously, the overall medieval character of the house, particularly its exteriors, is entirely due to the Victorian restoration carried out in 1867-8 by Anthony Salvin for George Fownes Luttrell.