This superbly crafted manor house was built in 1887 for Samuel Theodore Mander, a partner in the local varnish and paint-making firm of Mander Brothers. His architect was Edward Ould. The elaborate timber-framed exterior, with deliberate asymmetrical grouping, features tall chimneystacks, oriel windows and ranks of carved quatrefoils. In 1893 Ould added an east wing with help from the Pre-Raphaelite glass-designer Charles Kempe, who produced some fine painted glass for the house as well as advising on its decoration. In the grandest room, the great parlour – actually a 2-storey living-hall in the Nesfield-Shaw tradition – Kempe had a hand in designing the polychromatic decoration of the roof and the plaster frieze that is inspired by the High Great Chamber at Hardwick Hall. Much of Wightwick’s remarkable Pre-Raphaelite collections were assembled by Mander’s son and daughter-in-law, Sir Geoffrey and Lady Mander, who carefully preserved the house after his death in 1900.