Arlington Court Arlington Court was built for Colonel John Chichester in 1820-3 by the Barnstaple architect Thomas Lee. The Neo-classical exterior is dominated by a single-storey Greek Doric porch. This austere façade belies its warm and sumptuous interiors, several of which were decorated in the late 1830s by John Crace and bear evidence of the influence of Sir John Soane. This is especially apparent in the anteroom with its shallow dome, segmental arches and mirrored panels. The morning room, ante room and drawing room on the south front have sliding screens that, when closed, form one long tripartite gallery.The ceilings feature delicate neoclassical plasterwork and the morning room retains original wallpaper from the 1830s. National Trust Carriage Museum Arlington is also home to one of the country's foremost carriage museums housing a representative range of carriage types. The museum is housed in the original stable block built for Sir Bruce Chichester in 1864.