Shugborough was originally a compact, 2-storeyed brick house built for William Anson, Earl of Lichfield, whose fortunes were founded by Admiral Lord Anson, ‘Father of the British Navy’. Flanking wings were added by 1748 by Thomas Wright. The house was enlarged in c.1768 by James ‘Athenian’ Stuart. It was extensively remodelled and again enlarged in 1790-8 and 1803-6 by Samuel Wyatt, and Shugborough today is very much Wyatt’s creation. He enlarged Wright’s low, spreading wings, bringing them into line with the tall main block. He also added the massive Ionic portico and aligned it with the parapets of the wings, creating a strong horizontal emphasis across the whole façade. The west front was remade in 1920 by Alun Mundy. The interior contains good Rococo and Neo-classical decoration, particularly in the dining room where there is a stucco ceiling decoration by Vassalli after Guido Reni.