Great Chalfield Manor was built in c.1467-88 for Thomas Tropnell, a prosperous and acquisitive local landowner who obtained the estate from the heirs of the Percy family, owners since at least 1199. The house consists of a great hall, a panelled dining room, a solar with an oriel window and chambers in each gable. The 15th-century gabled entrance front has a semi-circular oriel window crowned by strawberry-leaf ornament; the gable ends are decorated with armoured soldiers, griffons, a dog and a monkey. It is enhanced by upper and lower moats and a gatehouse. Inside, Tropnell’s hall ceiling timbers survive, painted with his motto and his badge of a double ox yoke. The gardens, orchards and water features were designed on Arts and Crafts principles by Alfred Parsons to complement the restoration of the manor in 1905-12 for Robert Fuller by Sir Harold Brakspear.