Stained glass window
circa 1400 - circa 1999
GlassOrder this image
Felbrigg, Norfolk (Accredited Museum)
In the 1840s the Great Hall was radically altered. Heavy oak door-cases were installed, a new ceiling with huge wooden pendants was fitted and these stained glass windows dating from 1450 to the 19th century were added. Today the glass creates beautiful patterns on the walls and floor in the afternoon sunlight.
Collection of stained glass incorporated into four sets of windows of the Great Hall. Glass is mounted into upper two tiers of the windows. Comprising - 15th-century panels formerly in St Peter Mancroft, Norwich; copies of other Mancroft panels, made c.1840 by Dixon of Norwich; 20th-century copy by King of Norwich of panel returned to St Peter Mancroft; fine Swiss panels of 16th-century and 17th-century date; Flemish roundels and other Flemish and/or French glass.
Part of the collection of stained glass amassed in the mid-nineteenth century by William Howe Windham (1802-1854). Part of the Windham Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1969 by Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (1906-1969).