Beningbrough Hall was built in 1716 for John Bourchier whose family had held the estate since Tudor times. The architect was probably William Thornton who worked under Nicholas Hawksmoor at Castle Howard. The strong influence of Italian architecture may be attributed to Bourchier himself who undertook a Grand Tour of the Continent in 1704-6. The red-brick, 11-bay house features elaborate stone carvings over the entrance and garden front doors. The interiors feature outstanding baroque wood-carvings and ironwork attributed to Robert Blakewell.