A View of Castle Ward from the Doric Temple
William Ashford (Birmingham 1746 – Sandy Mount, Dublin 1824)
This fine view of the grounds of Castle Ward was painted approximately ten years after the build of the house was completed. The striking temple shown in the foreground actually belongs to an earlier layout of approximately 1755.
Oil painting on canvas, A View of Castle Ward from the Doric Temple, William Ashford (Birmingham 1746 – Sandy Mount, Dublin 1824), signed and dated, bottom right: W. Ashford, 1785. The temple is at the right, the house is seen on the high ground above Strangford Lough. View across front of the Temple towards Castle Ward with Strangford Lough on left. A lady in red seated in foreground, two ladies with dogs to left, two men under portico.
Purchased from Edward Ward, 7th Viscount Bangor (1903 – 1993), in 1967, with a grant from the Ulster Land Fund
Makers and roles
William Ashford (Birmingham 1746 – Sandy Mount, Dublin 1824), artist
Harris 1979 John Harris, The Artist and the Country House. A History of Country House and Garden View Painting in Britain 1540-1870, London 1979, no. 340