Stained glass panel
A sixteenth century heraldic shield displaying the arms of Croft of Dalton; Lozengy, Argent and Sable. In the base of the panel the following inscription can be seen, 'Legh [scrolled pattern] p [scrolled pattern] ['golden' ring] Dalton [scrolled pattern]. The original surround is missing and has been filled in with entwined stems and trefoil leaves, coloured with yellow stain. (See text file for fuller description and family connections)
Much of the stained glass at Lyme Park was originally made to be displayed in St Mary's Church in Disley. Some of this glass was removed in the early nineteenth century by Thomas Legh and re-housed in the Drawing Room and Porter's Lodge, probably during Wyatt's remodelling, which began in 1814. Other fragments may be European in origin, dating from a range of periods; it is thought that Thomas Legh may have collected these examples during his travels abroad.
Marks and inscriptions
Lozengy, Argent and Sable. (Arms of Croft of Dalton)