A painted iron strongbox, German, dated 1623, and with the initials 'PS', one of some thirty chests of this type in the collections of the National Trust, often (erroneously) called 'Armada' chests. This example painted all-over with red flowers against a green ground, and with traces of gilding, and all-over bound with riveted iron straps. The front with two hasps and false elaborate escutcheon. The lock to the underside of the lid covered by a decorated steel plate, and with interior till. The sides of the chest fitted with wrythen iron handles.
Given by Henry Hornyold Strickland (1890 – 1975) with Sizergh Castle and its estates in 1950.
Marks and inscriptions