Silver and glass
622 mm (Height)
Dunham Massey, Cheshire (Accredited Museum)
George II silver-framed looking glass, engraved with coat of arms. Made by Magdalen Feline, 1754; part of Lady Mary Booth's toilet service. 'The shield-shaped frame consists of a moulded border with applied cast shells at the feet. The sides have 3 screws each to allow for applied mirror glass. The mahogany backing has a flap attached to a chain allowing for angle adjustment. The top of the frame is engraved with armorials.
Stamford collection; devised to the National Trust by Roger Grey, 10th Earl of Stamford (1896-1976). 'Christie's 20 April 1921 lot 101; bought by Crichton's for Schrager; bought privately by the 10th Earl of Stamford 9 March 1922' (Rothwell & Lomax, 'Country House Silver at Dunham Massey', 2006, p.136).
Marks and inscriptions
'Fully marked on the underside of the foot with maker's mark (Grimwade 2027), leopard's head crowned, lion passant and date letter' (Lomax & Rothwell, 'Country House Silver from Dunham Massey', 2006, p. 145).
Makers and roles
Magdalen Feline, silversmith