Mahogany bureau-bookcase, circa 1780. Top has glazed arcaded doors with three shelves, moulded frieze to cornice, desk cross banded with two short and three long cockbeaded drawers, with brass swan-neck handles, fluted pillars, one on either side, with bone tops and bases, plain bracket feet. Desk interior with pigeonholes, green leather and gold leaf writing surface. Belonged to William Wordsworth.
Marks and inscriptions
Given in 1956 by Mrs. Mary Higginbottom, 44 Portway, Wells, Somerset. M.H. was daughter of Rev. John Wordsworth, grandson of the poet.(label)