Body fragments (14 sherds) of an Albarello. Decorated with hand painted bands in blue, orange and purple, blue cross line and floral motifs. Lead backed tin-glazed ware. Produced in Italy, possibly Padua or Venice.
An Albarello is a type of majolica earthenware jar, originally a medicinal jar designed to hold apothecaries’ ointments and dry drugs. The development of this type of pharmacy jar had its roots in the Middle East during the time of the Islamic conquests. This artefact was recovered during an excavation of the castle moat between 1912 and 1914 by William Weir at the bequest of Lord Curzon as part of the site’s restoration works. Around 1,300 objects were found during this excavation and largely date to the medieval and post-medieval periods when the castle was occupied. The collection comprises pottery, ceramic building material, plaster, worked stone, vessel and window glass, metal work and clay pipe.