Rim and body of a handled jar, abraded and showing a white internal deposit. Thought to be late medieval or post-medieval Toynton/Bolingbrooke ware, and therefore produced only a few miles away from Tattershall Castle. This artefact was recovered during an excavation of the castle moat between 1912 and 1914 by William Weir at the bequest of Lord Curzon as part of the site’s restoration works. Around 1,300 objects were found during this excavation and largely date to the medieval and post-medieval periods when the castle was occupied. The collection comprises pottery, ceramic building material, plaster, worked stone, vessel and window glass, metal work and clay pipe.