circa 1640 - 1670
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Woolsthorpe Manor, Lincolnshire (Accredited Museum)
The oak court cupboard was an important piece of furniture designed to display the masters ‘plate’ similar to the later sideboard. The name ‘court’ was taken from the French word for short as it was a low piece of furniture. The court cupboard shown has lockable doors which gained popularity in the 17th century however originally court cupboards were built with open shelves.
A joined oak press cupboard, English, probably North Country, mid 17th century. The plank top above a stop fluted frieze with overhanging canopy and turned drop pendants to the corners, the upper section with two cupboard doors flanking twin central panels, the lower section with a pair of panelled cupboard doors, with further fluted carved detail. With panelled sides and raised on stile feet, possibly originally with a top canopy section.