Howell & James Ltd
This splendid clock was given as a wedding present in 1871 to the future 1st Lord and Lady Shuttleworth. It is engraved with their crest of a weaver’s shuttle, together with the inscription ‘May the hand that holds the shuttle weave golden hours’. The happy couple duly celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1921.
Gilt bronze clock (with a pair of candelabra) by Howell and James of exotic neo-classical design with pairs of winged sea-monsters, the clock surmounted by a trumpeting putto - these figures in bronze. Wedding present from Baroness Burdett-Coutts to Ughtred and Blanche Kay-Shuttleworth; the candelabra inscribed with the Baroness's initials and those of Mrs. Brown, July 1st 1871.
Given to Gawthorpe by the Hon. Mrs. James, nee Angela Kay-Shuttleworth, named after her godmother the Baroness. Given for Craft Trust, D.
Marks and inscriptions
On back plate: Stamped on back plate: 'HOWELL JAMES & CIE. TO THE QUEEN LONDON & PARIS 1186'
Makers and roles
Howell & James Ltd, clockmaker