1600 - 1640
1845 x 2667 x 565 mmOrder this image
East Riddlesden Hall, West Yorkshire
Oak Jacobean three tier buffet or court cupboard. Upper part with sloping canopy, flute carved frieze with slim baluster supports, four panels, three cupboard doors with carved diamonds and six pilaster stiles and planed turned balusters suporting overhanging frieze, and base with rose ace and diamond carved frieze and uprights, fitted with plain panels and two slightly carved panel doors (top tier probably of later date).
Part of the bequest from the estate of Mr J.J. Kildwick Hall in January 1946. John Jeremy Brigg (1862-1945) and his twin brother, William Anderton Brigg (1862-1935) of Kildwick Hall nr Keighley had purchased East Riddlesden Hall in 1934 and presented it to the National Trust, having previously also salvaged various internal fittings removed from the hall earlier in the 20th century. In January 1946 various items of historic interest from their KIldwick house were donated to East Riddlesden Hall by John Brigg's executors with the rest of Kildwick Hall and its contents being auctioned. This item was photographed in a 1911 Country Life article. The article records that the Brigg family had acquired it from a house that, “served as the model for Emily Bronte’s ‘Wuthering Heights’ and may, indeed, be the very piece she describes as the ‘pewter-bearing dresser’ “ [believed to be Ponden Hall nr Stanbury, West Yorkshire]. John Brigg, along with other members of his family, had been founder members of the Bronte Society.