Wood, metal, paint.
650 x 1145 x 540 mmOrder this image
Greys Court, Oxfordshire (Accredited Museum)
Wooden armour chest painted in green with Brunner arms painted on ends. Metal banding and iron handles at each end. Made in 1666.
Wooden armorial chest painted in green with Brunner arms painted on ends. Metal banding and iron handles at each end. Made in 1660s, Swiss. Would have held arms and armour. The painted coats of arms represent the family's that the items belong to, with the arms depicted on the left typically belonging to the husband.. As well as the Brunner coat of arms, there is the Tschundi coat of arms (tree with fir cones and three roots) which is depicted on the left, perhaps an indicator of a marriage alliance in which case the Tschundi would have been the husband. Restoration work carried out in 1977 at the request of Lady Brunner by Campbell, Smith and Co Ltd. Decorators, 122 Muswell Hill, Broadway, London. The fine art work was undertaken by Mr Maurice Keevil. The 2 end were original and the rest of the chest was repainted to match the ends. The decorations of heraldry on the lid were reinstated and then "antiqued" the new work to take away the very new effect.
Gifted to the National Trust from the Estate of Lady Elizabeth Brunner, 2005.