The Arms of Templetown
John Dixon (1783 - 1857)
Place of origin
NorwichOrder this image
Felbrigg, Norfolk (Accredited Museum)
In the 1840s the Great Hall was radically altered. Heavy oak door-cases were installed, a new ceiling with huge wooden pendants was fitted and these stained glass windows dating from 1450 to the 19th century were added. Today the glass creates beautiful patterns on the walls and floor in the afternoon sunlight.
A Victorian stained glass panel showing the arms of Templetown, the family of Lady Sophia Windham's mother.
Made in 1837 for William Howe Windham by John Dixon, a glass painter and warden of St Peter Mancroft. Part of the stained glass collection amassed in the mid-nineteenth century by William Howe Windham (1802-1854) Part of the Windham Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1969 by Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (1906-1969).
Makers and roles
John Dixon (1783 - 1857), stained glass maker