attributed to Bow Porcelain Factory (fl.c. 1748-1774)
125 mm (H); 55 mm (W); 63 mm (D)Order this image
When it was first made the Harlequin would have decorated the dessert table. By 1872 there were about 30 similar figures grouped together on a table in the Cabinet, but today only two are left after most were sold at auction after World War 1 to raise funds for repairs to the house and estate.
Porcelain figure, Bow c.1752. White soft-paste porcelain figure of Harlequin seated as a bagpiper after a model by Kaendler of Meissen.
Part of the Windham Collection. The hall and contents were bequeathed to the National Trust in 1969 by Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (1906-1969).
Makers and roles
attributed to Bow Porcelain Factory (fl.c. 1748-1774), Porcelain Factory and manufacturer previously catalogued as by Johann Joachim Kändler (Germany 1706 - Meissen 1775) , porcelain