Carved yew and fruitwood, partly ebonised
94 x 57 x 60 cm
Place of origin
EnglandOrder this image
Ham House, Surrey
A dining chair, from a set of six, constructed in yew and veneered. The flat back with an arched top rail above a pierced sun-burst motif within a medallion. The drop-in seat on straight square legs joined by stretchers with rounded upper edges, on later tapered feet. Possibly the 'Six inlaid oval back chairs, stuffed seats and calico cases' listed in Lady Dysart's Bedroom in the inventory of 1844.
Acquired in 1948 by HM Government when Sir Lyonel, 4th Bt (1854 – 1952) and Sir Cecil Tollemache, 5th Bt (1886 – 1969) presented Ham House to the National Trust, and entrusted to the care of the Victoria & Albert Museum, until 1990, when returned to the care of the National Trust, and to which ownership was transferred in 2002.