One of a set of six cherrywood chairs, English, probably East Anglia, circa 1820. Each with horizontal top rail and lower rail of octagonal form and with ring-turned tapering ends, in between is a twin bar cross-splat containing three ebonised compressed buttons, the original rush seat standing on square legs joined by multiple stretchers.
The cross-splat with buttons is a typical feature of East Anglian chairs, as is the use of narrow ring turnings and facetted bar splats, although a rush seat is uncommon. See B. Cotton 'The English Regional Chair', 1990, p.228-235 for a discussion with comparable chairs illustrated.
Cotton 1990: Bernard D. Cotton, The English Regional Chair, Woodbridge 1990, p.228-235