The Fountain of Love
Thomas Waldo Story (Rome 1855 - New York City 1915)
The Fountain of Love is a two colour marble sculpture by Thomas Waldo Story. It was commissioned by Lord Astor in 1897. The shell dish features three groups of statues which are all signed and dated by the sculptor. The shell was made from two large antique marble blocks joined together and based on tufa rock.
White marble sculpture on tufa rock, The Fountain of Love by Thomas Waldo Story (Rome 1855 - New York City 1915), yellow figured marble shell, Tufa rock Shell on rustic base with at the head a woman striding forward on right foot, and holding out a jug in left hand, cupid on her left. At right front a half fallen woman with very long wavy hair, arms outstretched to welcome cupid. To the left a seated woman holding chalice up in right hand, by her cupid stands on shell horn and also raises another shell. Both women on rustic bases, all three with thin drapery largely across their legs.
Figures signed and dated 'Waldo Story Roma 1897'
Makers and roles
Thomas Waldo Story (Rome 1855 - New York City 1915), sculptor