The Temple of Dendur, Nubia
Anton Schranz (Ochsenhausen, Austria 1769 - Malta 1839)
One of a set of landscapes; watercolour on paper. A temple scene with blocks of stone and rubble on the ground, some with inscriptions. A ruined temple on the left has two fluted columns supporting a tapering roof. A tall temple stands to the right with rectangular opening and carved cornice at the top. Mounted within frame. The temple built by the Emperor Augustus in honour of two brothers Peteese and Pihor, is now in the Metropolitan Museum, New York.
Thomas Legh (1792-1857) travelled extensively in the Middle East and Egypt in the early 19th century. He produced his own drawings of this but they did not survive. In 1841 Viscount Castlereagh undertook a similar journey and he employed Anton Schranz to produce a record of his travels. He had them bound into a series of portfolios, the second one (this one) has been framed and used to be displayed in the Bright Gallery.
Marks and inscriptions
The National Trust / Paper Conservation / Reference no. P90/6 / Date completed May 90 / Signature M. Goodwin / (black ink on label on frame)
Makers and roles
Anton Schranz (Ochsenhausen, Austria 1769 - Malta 1839), artist