Stained glass. lead and wood
Place of origin
Penrhyn Castle, Gwynedd (Accredited Museum)
A stained glass lunette, one of six panels attributed to Betton and Evans of Shrewsbury, circa 1836. A heraldic design of four well proportioned shields, The left hand contains depicts a black cross with four birds on a white ground, the second depicts a white stag on ruby ground, the third a golden lion on blue ground, and the fourth a black chevron containing three kneeling angels on a white ground. With a ribbon-like border in the shape interlacing heart with palmettes at each centre. Executed in coloured glass, rich silver stains and glass enamels.
Probably amongst the stained glass that the Dawkins-Pennant family commissioned Betton & Evans of Shrewsbury to make. David Evans of Shrewsbury was paid £7 6s for stained glass in 1836.
Makers and roles
David Evans, stained glass maker