Steelyard
W. Avery
Category
Metalwork
Date
Unknown
Materials
Lead, Paint, Steel
Measurements
93 mm (Width); 720 mm (Length)
Order this imageCollection
Snowshill Manor and Garden, Gloucestershire
NT 1338313.1
Summary
Steelyard engraved '250 W. & T. Avery'. Two hooks on pivoting stirrups with fixed pointers, one each side of the beam, to hang the device. Two hooks on a stirrup which can pivot to either side of the beam to hold the item being weighed. One traveling hook for the weight, which is painted red and embossed '5'. There are four different scales on the sides of the beam marked 4 to 18, 7 to 70, 1 to 5 stone and 60 to 240. In notebook no.7, page 14 (1340945.7) Charles Wade refers to: 'Kitchen no.261. 8 Steelyards of various sizes'. 'Collection of 19th century steelyards, including a baker's scale with flip-over poise for 2lb and 4lb loaves. Section 7 of the Bread Act, 1836, required bakers' roundsmen to carry scales. The Act was repealed in 1926. Steelyard - a balance consisting of a lever with unequal arms, using a weight or counterpoise which is moved along a graduated beam.' (M Jessup).
Provenance
Given to the National Trust with Snowshill Manor in 1951 by Charles Paget Wade.
Marks and inscriptions
250/W+T.Avery
Makers and roles
W. Avery
References
Wade, 1944: Charles Paget Wade, Contents of Snowshill Manor. Volume 7 The Cottage, 1944, page 14