Wood carving - One of a set of three Sicilian wood polychrome block carvings. Surmounted by two cherubs and a crown and mainly coloured blue, green, and earth tones. This one depicts the Holy Family in lighter colours, Mary wearing a full length, blue cloak. Reverse painted with a curving pattern, and has label: 'L 15'. Several carvings from a Sicilian carretto (cart). Allegedly these were some of the last objects bought by Charles Wade and delivered after his death- reputedly found in brown paper and string under a workshop bench.
Given to the National Trust with Snowshill Manor in 1951 by Charles Paget Wade.