290 mm (Length); 45 mm (Diameter)Order this image
Snowshill Manor and Garden, Gloucestershire (Accredited Museum)
One of a pair of witch's bottles. A glass bottle, banded glass – 3 at bottom, two in centre, one around neck, formerly a fire extinguisher filled with multi-coloured silk thread. No stopper. This one is broken at the neck. East Anglican folk lore suggests that if hung inside the house it is protected against witches.
Given to the National Trust with Snowshill Manor in 1951 by Charles Paget Wade.