This Regency giltwood table, c.1810, is one of few surviving pieces at Oxburgh that do not relate to the antiquarian aesthetic preferred by the 6th and 7th Baronets.
A giltwood, rosewood and marble, mirror backed side table, English, circa 1810. The thick Carrera marble top above a gilt ovolo moulded edge and rosewood band frieze raised on twin lion monopodia supports carved at the top with acanthus sprays with realistic lions leg and paw feet. The monopodia emitting bold rams horn fluted scroll brackets with further leaf and scroll decoration across the front of the frieze. The mirrored back flanked by square section pilasters with anthemion, scroll and stylized leaf applied motifs. The whole raised on a rosewood plinth with gilt repeating lunette carved molded edge.
This giltwood console table reflects the opulent and boldly masculine taste of giltwood furniture made during the Regency period in England and particularly for the Prince Regent, later George IV, to furnish his great London mansion Carlton House. The table has various characteristics of the designs of Thomas Hope, George Smith and bears similarities to Henry Whitakers published design book 'Designs of cabinet and upholstered furniture in the most modern style' 1825 See Joy E. 'Pictorial Dictionary of British 19th century furniture design', pg.541 (James Weedon 2017)
Part of the Bedingfeld collection. Bought by Mr Lewin of Hilborough, together with a sideboard and mirror, and the Crace suite, at the 1951 Oxburgh sale, and given to the National Trust in 1974.
Pictorial dictionary of British 19th century funiture design 1977., pg. 541