A Georgian long gold muff chain circa 1825 - 1830
An elaborate William IV gold chain once belonging to Victorian actress and author Fanny Kemble, the necklace features pierced three-dimensional rectangles joined by a complex series of multi-textured rings. A delicate lady’s hand, with a simulated emerald ring sitting on a slender gold finger, forms the clasp of this unique piece of jewellery.
A Georgian long gold muff chain circa 1825 -1830 composed of a series of fourteen elongated pierced cagework polished sections interspersed with gold links. In original box with velvet blocked interior. Length 127 centimetres.
Georgian long gold muff chain circa 1825 -1830 composed of a series of fourteen elongated pierced cagework polished gold bar-shaped sections interspaced with a combination of entwined gold belcher hoop links with dimpled decoration and larger gold belcher links with star decoration. The clasp fashioned as a woman's hand finely textured with polished gold 'fingernails' and wearing on the index finger an emerald finger ring. The gold cuff decorated with three-colour gold flower and foliate high lights. In its original brown leather fitted case with velvet blocked interior. Chain length 127 centimetres. Box 157mm long x 95mm wide x 10mm deep. Said to have been formerly owned by the actress Fanny Kemble (1809 - 1893). This chain is a prime example of the type of sentimental jewellery popular in the late Regency period. The use of three-colour gold decoration is a particular characteristic of the kind of romantic jewellery worn during this era while the clasp fashioned as a hand is another typical feature. The added embellishment of a jewelled finger ring and the superior surface decoration on the hand itself is, however, fairly rare. Report by John Benjamin Honorary Jewellery Advisor August 2021.
Believed to have been owned by or given to Ellen Terry (1847-1928) or her daughter Edith Craig (1869-1947) and came to the National Trust in 1939 when Edith Craig transferred Smallhythe Place (including buildings, land and contents) to the Trust.
National Trust (Smallhythe Place)