Avebury Manor’s recorded history began in the early 12th century, when the Abbey of St Georges de Boscherville was allowed to set up a small priory. In the early 16th century, a house was built around this monastic building. It then passed through a number of owners over the centuries and was rescued from dilapidation in 1902 by Leopold and Nora Jenner, who restored it and built the large west library. The exterior of the house features mullioned and transomed windows, fluted pilasters and an arched top gable. The interior features Jacobean chimneypieces and late Baroque plasterwork. From 1935 Avebury Manor was the home of the archaeologist Alexander Keiller and the location of his ‘Morven Institute of Archaeological Research’. Recently it has been transformed through a creative partnership with the BBC, introducing new interior design, decoration and furniture. Keiller's work focused on the site of Avebury Stone Circle, a henge monument (contained within a large ditch), arguably the most impressive part of an extensive prehistoric sacred landscape which includes Stonehenge. The whole area is now a World Heritage Site. The Alexander Keiller Museum contains important prehistoric finds from Avebury and many other monuments in the surrounding area.