Cotehele House, Cornwall (Accredited Museum)
This collection has 3,309 items online
Cotehele is an important Tudor house, and the Hall, Kitchen and Chapel remain relatively intact. The site was owned by the Edgcumbe family from 1353 until 1947. From the 1550s, it became their second home, and was scarcely lived in. A visit by the King and Queen in 1789 demonstrates revival of interest in Cotehele, which was being presented as an antiquarian showpiece. Queen Charlotte observed ‘Chair Seats made of the Priests Vestements’, which were typical of Cotehele's culture of reinvention. Similarly intriguing objects can be found amongst the indigenous collection, which includes arms and armour, oak furniture, tapestries, beds and hangings, pewter, ceramics, and an ancient faceless clock.