Stoneywell cottage was built in 1897-9 for Sydney and Jeannie Gimson. The architect and designer was Sydney’s younger brother, Ernest Gimson. Detmar Blow was the head mason. Built out of local stone directly onto a sloping outcrop of exposed bedrock, Stoneywell closely adheres to the Arts and Crafts philosophies of site-specific design and use of local materials. The zig-zag plan of the house follows the contours of the slope, such that the outdoors can be accessed from three levels. The roof was originally thatch, but following a fire in June 1939, it was re-roofed in slate. Inside, there are huge Swithland slate lintels above the fireplace and doorway that were found at local slate quarries. Internally, the stone walls are painted white. When it came to furnishing the cottage, Sydney and Jeannie chose practical, solid furniture including rush-seated chairs made by Ernest and a large oak table by Sidney Barnsley.