Chedworth Roman Villa
The villa at Chedworth was discovered in 1863, when a workman found fragments of paving and pottery on the site. Originating in the first half of the 2nd century AD, it was progressively enlarged over the next 250 years before being abandoned after the collapse of the Roman government in Britain in the 5th century. Excavations have revealed colourful mosaic floors, including one in the dining chamber which depicts the four seasons, and several mosaics in the bath complexes. Now the villa has a new cover building and re-displayed museum, and excavations are continuing, revealing still more of the layout of the site and the lives of its inhabitants. As new mosaics and unexpected finds come to light, Chedworth is emerging as one of the foremost sites of Roman Britain.