Oak, ash, softwood, brass, paint
256 x 66 x 35 cm
Place of origin
Canons Ashby, Northamptonshire (Accredited Museum)
An oak and ash open single-bay library bookcase, one of five, English, circa 1850. Not in the Book Room. Topped by a moulded cornice and with waterfall sides forming three registers and with reeded front edge. The upper register fitted with three recessed upper shelves, the middle section with three deeper shelves, the lower section of a single shelf.
Made by estate carpenters for Sir Henry Dryden (1818 - 1899) circa 1850. Thence by descent, and included in the auction of books and selected contents of Canons Ashby held on 3 July 1980 by Berry Bros. of Brackley, where purchased by the National Trust.