Architecture / Interiors
Place of origin
Sizergh Castle, Cumbria
On show at
A carved oak overmantel, English, dated 1629. Carved with the coat of arms of Sir Francis Blindloss (d. 1628) and his wife Cecilia West, daughter of Lord De La Warr. This was brought from Borwick Hall, near Carnforth, an Elizabethan house built by a Kendal cloth merchant, Robert Blindloss (d. 1595). It was probably installed at Sizergh in the 1850s, when the room's 17th century paneling was reset to accommodate it.
Installed at Sizergh in the 1850s, thence by descent and given by Henry Hornyold Strickland (1890 – 1975) with Sizergh Castle and its estates in 1950.