An ebony and engraved ivory table cabinet, mid-17th century, Flemish/Italian. Inlaid to the exterior with inlaid lines, the top and sides centred by small engraved ivory square plaques. Fitted with six short drawers either side of a central cupboard door, inlaid with an ivory nobleman within a border of masks and scrolls. The drawers all with ivory plaques engraved with scenes of buildings and figures. The uprights and rails faced with leaf-engraved ivory strips. These cabinets were made in the late 16th and 17th centuries in Germany, Holland and Italy.
Given by Henry Hornyold Strickland (1890 – 1975) with Sizergh Castle and its estates in 1950.