Possibly Sanderson Miller (1717-1780)
||Oil on canvas
||762 x 635 mm (30 x 25 in)
|Place of origin
Sanderson Miller was an amateur architect who designed follies for his friends. At Lacock, he gothicised the house: the Great Hall was decorated and the Gothic gateway erected in 1754-5. During the 1750s, he and Horace Walpole gained the reputation of being the foremost authorities on this style.
This portrait is similar, but not identical, to an oval head-and-shoulders of roughly the same period which serves as the frontispiece to An Eighteenth-Century Correspondence, ed. Lilian Dickins & Mary Stanton, London 1910. The picture’s presence at Lacock makes it a reasonable assumption that it is he who is represented.
Oil painting on canvas, Possibly Sanderson Miller (1717-1780), attributed to Thomas Hudson (1701 - 1779), circa 1750. A half-length portrait to right wearing a blue coat and waistcoat with gold buttons, lace at neck and wrists, hat under left arm, left hand in waistcoat. Reputedly the gentleman architect employed by John Ivory Talbot to design the present Hall and archway in Gothick style in 1750's.
Given by Matilda Theresa Talbot (formerly Gilchrist-Clark) (1871 – 1958), who gave the Abbey, the village of Lacock and the rest of the estate to the National Trust in 1944, along with 96 of the family portraits and other pictures, in 1948
Makers and roles
attributed to Thomas Hudson (Devonshire 1701 – Twickenham 1779), artist
British (English) School, artist