The Madonna and Child and two Angels (after Sogliani)
Baron von Klank
Oil painting on canvas (tondo), The Madonna and Child and two Angels by Baron von Klank, after a follower of Lorenzo di Credi (Florence c.1456 – Florence 1536), 1870. The original tondo is in the Pinacoteca Capitolina in Rome as by Giovanni Antonio Sogliani (Florence 1492–1544), 1870. The Virgin Mary is seated with the Christ child on her lap. She wears a blue cloak and red-orange robe. Her head is surrounded by a halo and a grey translucent veil attached to the back of her dark hair falls about her neck and shoulders. She looks down at the Christ, her head tilted towards the left and her right arm resting protectively at his back holding the swaddling bands that are wrapped around his middle. The Christ grasps onto her left hand and looks out of the picture plane towards the left. A pair of winged angels stand to left and right of the Virgin and Child, gazing at them and holding their hands together in worship. The angels wear red-orange gowns over blue robes and golden halos hover above their heads. They appear much smaller in size than the Virgin and Child. A mountainous landscape occupies the background, with the towers of a castle or town visible behind the Virgin's right shoulder.
Given to the National Trust by Miss Jelley in 1973
Makers and roles
Baron von Klank, artist follower of Lorenzo di Credi (Florence c.1456 – Florence 1536), artist