190 mm (Length)
Place of origin
LondonOrder this image
Nunnington Hall, North Yorkshire (Accredited Museum)
One of a pair of high quality English flintlock travelling pistols, c1810, by Smith. Probably William Smith, London (active1771-1820).
One of a pair of high quality English flintlock travelling pistols, c1810, by Smith. Probably William Smith, London (active1771-1820). Round iron barrel of Damascus twist construction, with flattened top and engraved barrel tang. Bead fore-sight and a raised rear sight. Signed at the breech “London”. Retained to the stock by 1 barrel slide. Wooden ramrod with horn tip and steel worm; the other pistol – ramrod with a brass tip. Barrel length 8.3cm. Calibre 16mm. Walnut full stock with chequered grip, and bag-shaped grip. Engraved steel furniture comprising; trigger guard with pineapple finial, and 1 ramrod pipe. Vacant silver escutcheon. Flintlock of flat form with a stepped tail, engraved and signed “Smith”. Sliding bolt safety catch behind the cock. Anti-friction roller to the frizzen spring. One pistol retaining the original flint and leather packing to the cock; both locks retaining some original colour. Retained to the stock by 1 sidenail. Overall length: 19.5cm
Formerly on loan but purchased on 26th September 2008 from Mrs Mary Henry on behalf of the Clive Family.
Marks and inscriptions
Barrel top: London Lockplate: Smith
Makers and roles
Blackmore, 1986: Howard Blackmore: A Dictionary of London Gunmakers 1350-1850