attributed to Thomas Chippendale (fl. 1766 - 1771 when operating without a business partner)
circa 1770 - circa 1775
Limewood, gilt, paint
55 cm (Height); 56 cm (Diameter)
Place of origin
St. Martin's LaneOrder this image
Nostell Priory, West Yorkshire (Accredited Museum)
A stand, one of a pair of carved giltwood stands, circa 1770 - 1775, attributed to either Thomas Chippendale (fl. 1766 - 1771 when operating without a business partner) or Chippendale, Haig & Co. (fl. 1771 - 1779), originally painted green and gold. With dished tops and a fluted frieze carved with patera and with pendant husk garlands, raised on three moulded and tapering legs mounted with lion masks holding pendant swags in their mouths, the legs each terminating in a carved lion paw and joined by a concave-side shelf carved with guilloche to its edge and topped by a turned urn finial.
These stands are not mentioned in any of the surviving bills and accounts relating to Chippendale's work at Nostell Priory, but are attributed to him on the basis of their similarity to a pair at Harewood House, where he also worked (Gilbert, 1978), and which were supplied circa 1771. An inventory of 1818 records in the library at Nostell Priory '1 pair of large enameld China Cistern on carv'd & Gilt painted Green frames'. It is possible that they were gilded when Thomas Ward undertook the re-decoration of Nostell in the 1820s. They still support a pair of 'famille rose' painted fish bowls [NT 959591.1 & .2], made in China circa 1760 - 1775, and now adapted as wine cisterns. (Entry adapted by Megan Wheeler, February 2018)
Probably purchased by Sir Rowland Winn, 5th Baronet, and thence by descent until accepted by HM Treasury in lieu of death duties on the estate of Rowland Winn, 4th Baron Oswald (1916 - 1984), in 1986.
Makers and roles
attributed to Thomas Chippendale (fl. 1766 - 1771 when operating without a business partner), cabinet maker attributed to Chippendale, Haig & Co. (fl. 1771 - 1779), cabinet-maker
Gilbert (1978): Christopher Gilbert, The Life & Work of Thomas Chippendale (1978), 2 volumes., Vol. I, pp. 115 & 173; Vol. II, Plates 383 & 384