A set of six large oak open bookcases, English, circa 1850. Each with panelled ends and fitted with brass restraining bars, with leaf-carved cornice and numbered alphabetically A-F with the letter framed by a pair of oak leaves and sitting atop each bookcase, variations to dimensions.
A gift of Gerald, 7th Viscount Clifden, who gave the house to the National Trust in 1953 and continued to live there until his death in 1966. His sister, Everilda, remained at the house until her death in 1969. These bookcases are to be seen in a photograph of the Long Gallery dated circa 1850.
Marks and inscriptions