W. Hands & Son Ltd., High Wycombe
A Coronation chair used at the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on 2 June 1953 in Westminster Abbey. With blue velvet back and seat, on limed oak square legs, now over-painted blue. On the back, top left the Royal monogram E II R below a crown is stitched in gold and there is gold braiding on both the back and around the seat. On the top edge of the back is a small oval plate with the number 217 in black. Also stamped 1953 (below a crown) ER CORONATION to the underside of the front seat rail and 1953 W HANDS & SONS LTD to the underside of the rear seat rail. Beneath the seat is a brown O.H.M.S. label 'SECTION A.3' handwritten in red.
W. Hands and Son Ltd. of High Wycombe advertised themselves as 'Makers of Reproduction chairs, Jacobean oak and mahogany Dining Room Suites, satin and inlaid mahogany Drawing Room Suites' in 1911. The firm were commissioned to make the 1953 Coronation chairs for Peers and Peeresses. The blue velvet upholstery was made at Listers Mills in Bradford, Yorshire. After the ceremony those who had occupied the chairs were given the opportunity to buy them.
Acquired during transfer of Lanhydrock to the National Trust in 1953.
Marks and inscriptions
Underside of rear seat rail: 1953 W HANDS & SONS LTD Underside of front seat rail: 1953 ER CORONATION
Makers and roles
W. Hands & Son Ltd., High Wycombe, manufacturer