The Thomas Glenister Co.
A pair of mahogany chairs used in Westminster Abbey for the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra on 09 August 1902. Each with vertical bar splats to the back, rush seat and square tapering legs joined by multiple stretchers. Each chair is stamped to the underside of the front seat rail GLENISTER MAKER WYCOMBE and ER VII (with a small crown) CORONATION on the back edge of the rear seat rail.
The firm of Thomas Glenister was in business from 1895 at Temple End, High Wycombe and supplied Government departments with furniture and chairs for barracks, libraries and hospitals. In 1902 they supplied all the seating for the Coronation of King Edward VII.After the Coronation these chairs were given to the persons to whom they were allocated.
Acquired during transfer of Lanhydrock to the National Trust in 1953.
Marks and inscriptions
(behind back rail) E.R VII (crown) CORONATION
Makers and roles
The Thomas Glenister Co., maker