A pair of mahogany chairs used by Viscount and Viscountess Clifden at the Coronation of George V and Queen Mary on 22 June 1911. Each has a pierced vase splat, drop-in seat and square legs joined by stretchers. Handwritten labels are tied to the underside of each seat '250 / Viscount Clifden' and '261 / Viscountess Clifden' and a label nailed to the back seat rail of each chair '250' and '261' respectively. Each chair is stamped on the back seat rail 'CORONATION GR V with a small crown. Each chair is also stamped by a different maker.
Acquired on transfer of the house to the National Trust in 1953.
Marks and inscriptions
(stamped beneath back rail) CORONATION GR (and crown)