Oil painting on canvas, The Adoration of the Shepherds, after Sir Peter Paul Rubens (Siegen 1577 – Antwerp 1640), circa 1615-20. The Holy Family at the left, with putti in the clouds above. The shepherds approach from the right. In the foreground a kneeling peasant girl offers the child an egg. A copy after an engraving by Lucas Vorsterman probably from a lost modello for Rubens's altarpiece originally painted for the Capuchin Church in Aachen, and now in the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Rouen, 1620.
Presumably one of the pictures that, according to the 1819 Catalogue, were acquired in Rome in 1750/51 for the first John Parker by (Sir) Joshua Reynolds(although evidence) and thence by descent; given to the National Trust as part of the endowment by Montagu Brownlow Parker, 5th Earl of Morley (1878-1962)
Saltram, The Morley Collection (National Trust)
Marks and inscriptions
Verso: An old label on the back of the frame describes SAL.P.39 as: Pittura dell Nativitate Christ e Adorazzione...dapinto par Carlo Dolci.. pallazzio di Cardinal Quirini a Roma
Makers and roles
after Sir Peter Paul Rubens (Siegen 1577 - Antwerp 1640), artist
previously catalogued as manner of Jacob Jordaens (Antwerp 1593 – Antwerp 1678), artist
previously catalogued as after Carlo Dolci (Florence 1616 – Florence 1686), artist
Rubens e l'incisione nelle collezioni del Gabinetto Nazionale delle Stampe, Villa della Farnesina, Rome 1977, no. 125
Le siècle de Rubens dans les collections publiques françaises, Grand Palais, Paris 1977-78, no.124
Rooses 1892 Max Rooses, L'Oeuvre de
P. P. Rubens, Antwerp, 1886 & 1892
, vol. V ,pp.148-49 & repr.p.382).