Newton House from the North
||circa 1710 - circa 1730
||Oil on canvas
||838 x 1524 mm (33 x 60 in)
|Place of origin
|Not on show
Not much is known about this unusual picture, which belongs to no known category of English painting. After the Restoration, the ruins of Dynevor Castle were abandoned (seen here in the top right corner) and a new dwelling – Newton House, the main subject of this painting – was built at the foot of the hill. Of particular interest are the perfectly-symmetrical formal gardens and the contrasting informality of the adjacent plot.
Oil painting on canvas, Newton House from the North, attributed to Welsh school, circa 1710-30. North elevation of Newton House.
Acquired by the National Trust from Richard Charles Uryan Rhys, 9th Baron Dynevor (1935 – 2008), with the aid of the NHMF in 1997
Newton House, Dinefwr, The Dynevor Collection (The National Trust)
Makers and roles
attributed to British (Welsh) School, artist
Harris 1979 John Harris, The Artist and the Country House. A History of Country House and Garden View Painting in Britain 1540-1870, London 1979, no. 80b